Saturday 3 January 2015

Mugshot Cafe @ Chulia Street, Penang

Haven't been doing much work this week even if I'm back and ready for action. I guess everyone else is still in their holiday mood. So I here I am blogging, at least it's something productive or else I feel guilty:X 

But before that, a quick note about what happened today. 

Today, I waited 7 hours at Perodua's Car Service Centre. This is the longest I've ever waited. Called the centre at 9am to see if today is full and make an appointment but the lady told me that today it's on walk- in basis so I walked in at about 10am (I got lost finding the place). 

Saw the scheduled time printed on the invoice (12.30pm, okayyy I had to wait for at least 2 hours I thought). Since I had to change the timing belt (whatever that is), the guy told me it would take a longer time and the car will be ready at 4 plus. In the end, I was the last customer to retrieved my car at 5.20pm:O

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining just that I'm amazed at how patient I am LOL. I finally found my strength. So next time when potential employers ask me that question, my answer would be "extreme high tolerance towards anything including bullshit" :D

Talking about sh*t, when we were back in Penang somehow my bowels knew that it was not home so I couldn't go to toilet for 2 days. On the last day before heading back to KL, we had yogurt for breakfast and WALA!! Bowel started working efficiently within an hour!

Mugshot Cafe
302 Chulia Street, Penang

Mugshot Cafe from the outside

Interior; Mugshot 302 Chulia Street

Making full use of the space

Counter to place your orders and high chairs along the counter

I've heard of this cafe and have read blogs about it but if not for my sis, I would have given the place a pass and regret it for the rest of my life! The reason why I initially thought of giving it a pass is that this cafe serves very limited food i.e. bagels, yogurt and coffee. That was about it. None of the items stood out to me but there was always a large crowd whenever I passby.

At mugshot, it's partially self service. 

You gotta place your order and pay for it first then wait for them to send you your stuffs. So that morning, after walking back from breakfast, all hot and sweaty we decided to chill at Mugshot cafe. Thank God for the aircon! 

As mentioned, usually there are a lot of people flocking the cafe so I wasn't sure if we could find a seat but we did instantly! The seat was very strategic too because it had a mirror on my right hand side like such...


... and a stone oven on my left hand side as such...


If you're thinking why is it good to sit next to the oven? Well, because we get to see all the action! Mugshot cafe bakes their bagels in the stone oven so it's very cool to see! Also, I managed to capture pictures of different types of bagels of which was ordered by other people as well! HAHA

Guy making salmon bagel

Bagels sliced in half, spread with butter or cream cheese depending on the order, popped into the oven!

Check out the firewoods. REAL firewoods to run the oven! Impressive!

This was our order: Cream Cheese Bagel (Forgot the price, something like RM5 I think)

Very generous amount of cream cheese

Mugshot definitely did not scrooge with the quality or quantity of cream cheese! One huge slab of thick creamy cream cheese in between your bagel. The only thing is it's rather tasteless LOL So if you prefer something more flavourful maybe you should try their bacon and egg bagel or Salmon bagel.

Bacon and Egg Bagel (Forgot the price, about RM10 I think)

The bacon is not pork. It's turkey bacon. I overheard the counter guy clarifying the issue to two muslim ladies who were deciding on their bagels. I love the customer service there because they are all very polite and considerate. The said customer didn't even have to ask to know what kind of bacon is served.

Btw, I'm deviating from Mugshot for a bit since I'm talking about bacon. 

There was once where I saw a comment, a question actually, from a Muslim customer enquiring about the type of ham being used. I forgot which cafe was that on Facebook. It seem like a sensible question to me since there are many types of ham and obviously they are prohibited to consume pork.

Then came a nasty comment by this guy who is not of the same religion. Being very rude, he laughed it (the question regarding type of ham) off in his comment and said something implying that the Muslim customer was stupid because ham is pork.

Well hello smarty pants! "Ham" could also be chicken, turkey or beef. Was so angry with this fella's stupidity, to think that he thought someone else is the stupid one. Pfff, obtuse asshole.

Okay, coming back to mugshot. Here is a picture of their Salmon bagel! It's someone else's order but since I was sitting next to the oven I managed to get free picture without having to order it hehe

Smoked salmon bagel (Approximately RM10 I think)

Iced Cappucino (Approximately RM10 I think)

I'm not a big fan of their coffee because it was so dang bitter!!! I had to put like 5- 8 spoonful of sugar to make it drinkable. For that price, I'll opt for Starbucks instead. That being said, their ultimate product that you got to, have to, must buy is Mugshot's... 

Jackfruit & Gula Melaka Yogurt!

Jackfruit slices and Gula Melaka yogurt RM10

This was my holy grail, thanks to my bowel who stubbornly insisted that it's not home

This is real homemade yogurt! Nothing like those sold in supermarket!! This was so thick and rather sour so the jackfruit and gula melaka toppings was a perfect fit! I shared one jar of yogurt with my sis and thought nothing of it till about an hour later.

An hour later, my stubborn bowels started working it's ass off and I couldn't wait till home so I had to use the R&R's toilet along the highway LOL This is how effective their yogurt is! It is so authentic and natural and concentrated that it works magic! Very suitable for people who have a stubborn bowel when travelling!

To think half a jar could help me so well, it slide right through! (Okay, too much details but I am realy IMPRESSED by their yogurt!!!) Imagine having one whole jar to yourself! You probably wouldn't get fat after your food hunt trip in Penang :D

Okay, one nice food picture to make you forget about the gross detail I've just written LOL

The back area of Mugshot cafe, bigger tables for bigger groups of people

They have an upstairs too but I think it was closed that day

Doorway to the kitchen

The place where they produce my favourite homemade yogurt! Seriously, I have never ever come across such effective product before. Not even bananas could come close!

A mint making machine, RM2 per mint I think.

Select your design then turn the wheels. Wheel get heavier as it was being crafted. There you go!

Also, they provide you with chalks for... 

A must have MUGSHOT picture!!!

Mugshot pose, hehe

I would definately return to Mugshot cafe when I'm back in Penang!!! Super good service, unlike the ones that we got in China House. People at Mugshot Cafe makes you feel so welcomed and happy despite them being very busy zooming here and there fulfilling orders. 

If you ever go there, you MUST try their yogurt okay! It comes in many different flavours too other than jackfruit & gula melaka. It's seriously the BEST product that I have ever eaten! Even till today, my sis and I often gushed about how awesome their yogurt was for our bowel!

No comments:

Post a Comment