Wednesday 22 October 2014

Weng Kee Ais Kacang, PJ Old Town

Today is yet another public holiday because it's Deepavali Day!!! Yes, another reason to love my country is for our abundance of festivals hence the abundance of holiday to keep everyone happy. Of course, you would still see some infamous grumpy ones on the media:X

So the other day, I was helping my sis to move house for the second time. It wasn't as crazy as it was the other time (where we had to carry stuff out from hostel, up to my place for temp storage, down again to move it up to her new place).

But nevertheless, it was tiring. And hot. And so I itched like some red scratchy baboon.

On the flip side, my sis treated me to some Ais Kacang! Yums! 

It's quite difficult to hunt for authentic ais kacang these days. By authentic I mean red beans, corn and maybe peanuts topped with shaved ice drizzled with syrup and milk. Anything over the top would be less authentic.

 I heard of this Ais Kacang aka ABC place at PJ Old Town Market that is rather authentic so I decided to try it out!

Weng Kee Ais Kacang
Stall #46, PJ Old Town Market Food Court 
(Next to Bus Station)

Weng Kee shop

When I was googling about this ais kacang, it's odd that I have never come across a picture of the stall. Yes, there were many pictures of the ais kacang but how would I know which stall to look for right? So there you go, a picture of Weng Kee stall. 

Oh, yes you could identify a stall/ shop by it's name (obviously) but I find that it always help to know the shop's colour/ signboard/ deco. Helps in locating the shop/stall quicker.

Entrance to market food court

If you are scouting for this place, it is best that you find this entrance because once you enter, turn right and you will see Weng Kee stall a few stalls away. Easy. But if you're entering from the other entrance (the one nearer to the wet market) then you might need to walk further in to find Weng Kee.

View from entrance

I took a shot from the closer entrance that I used so it's easier for people to find this entrance LOL I find it very convenient, I parked right outside the entrance somemore! So you will see the junction from the 'correct' entrance. Bus station and Public Bank is visible.

Ais Kacang RM2.80

The ais kacang was very pleasant especially on a hot day. Really like it that the ice is shaved very finely! It's a very basic ais kacang of which makes it very authentic like how all ais kacang used to be till people started over doing it.

The serving is just nice for a person. If you're intending to share, I would advise otherwise because it is quite small. Like the size of a tiny soup bowl, not rice bowl.

Below the ice

There you have it, simple refreshing dessert! I still prefer the ais kacang at Kayu's though even if it's expensive (RM5 I think) because the ones there are drizzled with red syrup that has this very yummy rose fragrant! 

But, this one at Weng Kee would still do:)

One more shot of Weng Kee ais kacang

Chicken rice from a shop few stalls away

Chicken rice has really yummy sauce!!! Salty and nice, best with cucumber hehe Quite cheap, RM4 for really meaty chicken!

1 comment:

  1. I have been eating this since I was a kid. I am 49. This is the best in PJ or I would say in Malaysia!!! I lived in Singapore but grew up in PJ. I was eating ABC when her mom was preparing it. Now it is handed to her. I was thinking to ask for a franchise to sell in Singapore. WK have customers from UK, US all coming back to have that ABC taste with fine ice shavings. This is the Best!!!

    ReplyDelete