Friday 28 November 2014

Ais Tingkap, Lebuh Tamil & Fried Oyster, Chulia Street Penang

It's Friday!! WOOT! That means today will be the last day cooking home cooked food! KFC come to mama! I'm trying the Cheezy Zinger Mash Potatoes soon! Actually I was secretly hoping that I could have KFC today instead of tomorrow. I crave fried chickennnn!!

Talking about food, this bog post marks the start of my Penang food posts! It seems like going to Penang for food has become a yearly affair. 2 years ago, I went to Penang with my bestie Nit! That was when she was still an omnivore. Last year, I went to Penang with youngest sister, Rebecca and this year I went to Penang with...

Naomi!!! That's  us in the bus heading to KLIA2 early in the morning

Thank God for the cheap air tickets by Air Asia that cost exactly the same as bus tickets! So we fly to Penang with ease! Travelling time only took about an hour compared to 4 hours by bus. Also, I'm not sure if I'm getting older or what but I'll tend to get bus- sick (i.e. seasick but in the bus).

Her first time at KLIA2

We wore the same t-shirts like very typical holiday goers! Hehe

The only thing with taking flight is that we had to be in the airport early. Actually we weren't that early because we woke up later than planned LOL

So breakfast was at KLIA2. We saw the breakfast menu at KFC, this egg zinger burger for RM5+ so I thought okay la reasonable for a set meal. Turns out, that was the price for a la carte! A full meal (Burger + Hash brown + Drink) cost RM10+!!

Grr.
Both of us looking good with fresh makeup XD

Touch down at Penang airport within a blink of the eye! From the airport we were suppose to board the Rapid Penang 401E bus that would drop us off right in front of our hotel.

But since there was a 401 bus waiting and the Rapid guy told us that he had no idea when 401E will arrive, we decided to hop on the 401 bus that takes us to Komtar.

I was pretty proud that I knew my way around Georgetown fairly well because it's my third time there and I managed to even help these two tourist with directions! Teehee.

It was a 15- 20 minutes walk from Komtar to Chulia Street so we stopped halfway for some refreshing drink. This was recommended to me when I last came and I like it! So I had to let Naomi try it out.

Ais Tingkap 
Lebuh Tamil, Georgetown

Ais Tingkap man just opened his stall for the day at about 11am 

Menu for your reference

Ais Tingkap, RM2 per cup!

It really is THE drink to have when you are strolling around sunny Georgetown! It's ice-y syrup with coconut water topped with coconut flesh and basil seed!

It's also THE drink to have because the owner of the place is such a sporting and friendly person! His friends saw me taking picture of the stall so they ask me to go into he drink making area for a picture instead!

The Ais Tingkap man was initially rather shy but at last he posed for a picture according to his friend's cue! He's friend asked him to show the thumbs up HAHAHHA

My favourite picture of the entire trip!! This picture look like I'm those food TV host! My dream job LOL

Not long after, we walked to our hotel located at Chulia Street. After checking in, we left our stuff there and headed off to my favourite Fried Oyster stall which is situated along Jalan Chulia! Just 5- 10 minutes walk away!

Crispy Fried Oyster @ Lam Ah Kopitiam
Chulia Street, Georgetown
(In front of the bomba place. At the junction of Chulia Street and Beach Street)


Uncle frying oyster

About this place, I've gotta give you a heads up that you would need to wait for quite some time for your food to arrive. The uncle takes about 10- 15 minutes to dish out his fried oysters (He makes about 5 plates before serving them).

Also, there are very limited seats at this coffee shop so you would need to keep an eye for empty seats. It's a norm for people to share tables there so if you see an empty seat you would just have to kindly ask the person who is already seating if you could join them LOL

Lam Ah Kopitiam, no seats how???

Thanks to this uncle and his wife (not in picture) for sharing their table with us! Eventually they moved off to another table to share someone else's table and no one else wanted to share our table so... all the better! hehe

Or else, the lady boss of the coffee shop (she sells drinks there) would help allocate a seat for you. If you prefer to not share table, she will ask you to simply sit first then when there is a free table available she will send you there.

Crispy fried oyster in the making

It's very very important to note that this uncle's fried oyster is the best because it's crispy!!!! Unlike elsewhere where the flour batter will be wet and soggy (the normal way fried oyster is being made), this uncle deep fries his egg batter and then separately tops it off with juicy stir fry oysters!!!!

I think I've read somewhere that you could request for the normal way of wet batter also but WHYYY? :P

Whenever I'm in Penang I'd always opt for his fried oysters. I don't find the need to eat fried oysters anywhere else on the island LOL

CRISPY Fried Oysters

See what I mean by crispy! Btw, this is a small serving RM5. If you want double of this portion, of which I really recommend, tell the uncle you want the Big one! RM10! Very worth it because he give you lots of oysters and double the amount of yummy sweet chilli sauce!!

I'm using so many exclamation marks (!!!) to describe the fried oyster that I think the button is quavering LOLOL


Uncle refilling his batter, I realised that all his measurement are by estimation so hard to copy!

Penang White coffee, RM2.30. Another thing that I usually order in Penang is their white coffee! Love how aromatic their coffee is! My sis and I stashed back 4 bags of coffee for our coffee addict parents :P

Happy girl with Penang White Coffee. Feel a little bad pulling her here and there to try out all kinds of food within such limited time. 3D2N in Penang is insufficient!! Next time must extend vacation!

One more shot of the crazy good fried oyster aka Oh Chien aka Oh Luak:

1 comment:

  1. Both the famous fried oyster & beef noodle from Beach St (opposite Bomba) is now moved to a new shop at 156, Carnarvon St
    Facebook link: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kafe-St-Loo-Beef-Noodle-Soup-%E5%90%95%E5%AE%B6%E7%89%9B%E8%82%89%E7%B2%BF%E6%A2%9D%E6%B1%A4%E9%A5%AD/149422678746063

    ReplyDelete