Tuesday 23 December 2014

Hameed Pata Mee Sotong + Pisang Goreng + Ais Kacang Swatow Lane (New World Park)

Didn't realised that I havent been blogging for quite some time, since early December actually. Been busy shopping for Christmas! Since my Penang trip is now a stale post, I might quickly breeze through HAHA Okay, so one of the places that I would recommend people would be the Pata Mee Sotong!

Hameed Pata Mee Sotong
Padang Kota Lama Foodcourt

Pata Mee Sotong stall

This place is accessible by the free Penang shuttle bus. You would have to look out for #18 Bus Stop (Padang Kota Lama). Right behind the bus stop you will be able to see this cheap and quite dirty looking food court LOL Yes, that's where Pata Mee Sotong is at!

Don't worry, it may look dark and a little dirty from the outside but the stall itself is rather clean. Had the mee sotong there for countless times and haven't had an incident of diarrhea so it's tested and proven!

Pata Mee Sotong, RM5 (small)

This is what your delicious seafood- sweet noodles will look like! It's basically fried noodles with squid. I love the dish because the noodles is moist and the squids are sweet! Love the taste of mush, starchy taste from the potatoes that they include in the dish. YUMS!

Being a host to the tourist

Also, a must have for me when I'm having my Pata Mee Sotong is a coconut shake from the stall next to Hameed's Pata Mee Sotong! It's a good combination because the Mee Sotong can be spicy. If you prefer mild tasting noodles, it's best if you inform them when placing order. Anyway, spicy is good!

Jalil Special Ice Kacang
Padang Kota Lama Foodcourt

Coconut shake stall

Coconut shake, RM2.50 (I think)

Ice- cream toppings!

I don't remember ordering special so I'm assuming that the normal coconut shake comes with ice- cream as topping! Unlike the ones that you find in Melaka (Klebang or Batu Berendam) where additional charges apply if you want ice- cream on top.

After lunch, I was so fortunate to sample the yummy Pisang Goreng!! I've heard of this rather famous pisang goreng that is situated near the general hospital if I've not mistaken.

Pisang Goreng 
Nearby General Hospital

I don't think the stall has a name but here is a picture of the Pisang Goreng stall

A bag full of RM4 worth of bananas

Sweet bananas, sliced thinly, battered nicely for crunch!

I'm really in love with those bananas because they were so sweet!!! Unlike the bananas that we usually find in KL- the plain tasting and a little kelat tasting:S Back here in JB, we usually dip our bananas in sambal kicap because it's a great dip and it's also because our bananas aren't too sweet.

But the pisang goreng I sampled in Penang is so good that you could eat it on it's own! It would be a sin to mask the sweet crunchy bananas with any dips at all! 

So after lunch and after snacks, it was dessert time!!! 

Ais Kacang Swatow Lane
New World Park

Ais Kacang stall

Ais kacang without fruits, add on ice- cream RM4 (I think)

This suppose to be the must eat ais kacang in Penang. The stall used to be at Swatow Lane (hence the name) but the hawkers there have been moved to the current New World Park foodcourt. I was a little reluctant to write about this ais kacang because I thought that it tasted horrible. Way below average in taste :(

Anyway, I'm writing this so that people visiting Penang can just skipped this "must have". The ais kacang was sad looking when it came to us.

Usually, shaved ice will be nice and tall when it comes in a bowl, colourful with syrup drizzles and what what not! It should feel like you are about to eat a unicorn LOL

But this Swatow Lane ais kacang was almost flat when it came:S

Ais kacang with fruits, add on ice- cream RM4.50 (I think)

If you really have to have Swatow Lane Ais Kacang, please have the one without fruits because the one with fruits tasted even worse. Weird fruits that shouldn't be there like papaya tainted the ais kacang taste. Oh man!

Concluding my post: 3 out of 4 foods were super yummy! Quite expected since it's Penang.

Stay tuned for more Penang food post and many more procrastinated food blogs. Teehee.

No comments:

Post a Comment