Wednesday 10 September 2014

Daro Crispy Chicken, Bangsar

This is so rare that I try out a new restaurant then immediately come home to blog about it. My food posts are usually a little stale (i.e. visited the shop about 2- 3 weeks ago). 

Just now, my sister and I decided to have lunch at Nirwana Maju because I felt like having their deep fried petola! But when I was driving around looking for parking, I realised that the new fried chicken shop is finally open!!

Daro Crispy Chicken
Jalan Telawi, Bangsar

Entrance

So we decided to try out the new chicken shop and postpone our banana leaf rice meal. Anyway, as usual there was a long queue in Nirwana Maju.

Initially I wasn't sure if they were really opened for business because there was no customers inside the shop. I only assumed the shop was open for business by noticing that on lonely opening ceremony flower wreath next to the counter.

I told my sis, this boss must have not many friends/ contacts so nobody sent him congratulatory wreaths, lol.

Daro Crispy Chicken is situated kinda next to Tous Le Jours. It's a corner shop, same row as Number76 saloon. Apparently, this is a half Canadian chicken shop- that's what I conclude from their catch phase something about being Canadian and Asian. 

Alfresco dining area

Huge logo outside you wouldn't miss it

 
Counter

Since this is a fast food restaurant, you would need to place your order at the counter and pay for it first just like how you would at McD or KFC. Then the cashier will give you a UFO looking buzzer. When your food is ready for collection, the buzzer will buzz. Then, you return them the buzzer and collect your food. Very much like those Taiwanese dessert shops. 

UFO buzzer

Menu

Since it's called "Daro Crispy Chicken", their specialty would obviously be chicken. There are different types of chicken on the menu such as chicken chop, fried chicken (wings/drummets), fruitti chicken balls (sold out!), burgers etc. 

Besides chicken, they also have fish and calamari on the menu. It's reasonably priced, very much like other fast food joints. 

A sneak peek of the interior:

Seating area with mirrors that make you look skinnier, my favourite! hehe

Another shot, pretty green walls

Bar stool seating (left) and Sauce counter (right)

Crispy Chicken Meal (4 pieces), RM8.95

My sis got the Crispy Chicken Meal. It comes with fries, prickled vege and a drink of your preference, she chose Coke. Her chicken sauce was Honey Lemon. The chicken tasted okay, not horrible, but can't compete with KFC or Popeyes, not even McD or Wendy's. 

The only special thing is the dip, which in this case wasn't very nice. A little too sweet for the liking, tasted like something you serve as desserts instead. 

Fries were shoe string fries, freshly fried. They had some sprinkles on top I think it's chili powder? Not too bad, nothing beats McD's fries though, hehe.

Chicken Chop meal, RM10.60

My lunch was Chicken Chop meal. They gave me a rather small piece of chicken, slightly smaller than the size of my palm. Though small, it tasted way better than my sister's chicken wing/ drummets. It's a combo set so it also came with fries, vege and a drink of my choice.

I love the fact that I could choose ice lemon tea without adding any additional charges. I find McD/KFC/ etc charging extra for ice lemon tea nonsensical. I'm not a carbonated drink person, because I just hate the feeling of the gas bubbling down my throat but usually at McD I'd just settle for Coke because I don't wanna pay extra.

I LOVE the prickle vege though my sister found it a little too sour. It felt so refreshing to cleanse your palate after eating greasy chicken so I love the idea of having prickled vege instead of the normal coleslaw.

For the sauce, I chose peanut butter. According to the cashier, the peanut butter sauce suppose to taste a little spicy but it just taste like normal peanut butter to me. It goes on pretty well with the chicken though.

First time when I tried peanut butter with meat and found out it was actually tasty, was in Taiwan. I tried it unknowingly LOL 

Chicken Ham and Cheese sandwich (bread was french toast!)

I bought this "Chicken ham and cheese sandwich" from Mos Burger early in the morning before conference. Usually savoury sandwiches aren't served with peanut butter here, so I was surprised that it actually tasted good!

So back to Daro Crispy Chicken, I was willing to give the peanut butter a shot. Not the best combo ever, but it tasted decently good.


Receipt

Despite the small meal size, we were both full! I thought I would have to order another set but no, it swas just right. Prolly I had my fried chicken with peanut butter sauce so that made me full fast. I didn't had to worry about it being too greasy because of the sour prickled vege, I'm a fan!

Not too sure if I'd return soon though. Their specialty should be their chicken dips, but they aren't fantastic either. So I'd rather drop by McD (for fries), KFC or Popeyes (for chicken). I have yet tried their Calamari rings though.

If their Calamari Rings is good, then I'm sure to return only because it cost RM7.60! Let's just see!

Ending the post with a few pictures of the fancy containers the chickens were served in:

Daro Crispy Chicken metal box

I couldn't find their Facebook page nor their website though

Notice the metal handle to carry attached to the box, fancy!

Uniquely Canadian- Canadian dips their chicken in peanut sauce?

No comments:

Post a Comment