Saturday 6 September 2014

Nirwana Maju, Bangsar

What a way to start my weekend! Yesterday, family reached late so when they arrived it was just in time for dinner. Everyone was very happy as we had korean meal for dinner at KimchiHaru. Everyone was happy till later on when my car got nudge (slight dent and signal lights came off) by this car.

My mood immediately switched 180 degrees from good to bad. Prolly, I was tired too because when I woke up today I instantly felt much better. Hence, decided to blog a little before I go out soon.

So a few weeks back, we decided to have banana leaf for lunch and he suggested a famous banana leaf rice shop in Bangsar!

Nirwana Maju
Jalan Telawi 3
(Open till lunch )

Entrance of the shop

Saturday crowd

The place was very packed on a Saturday afternoon. Actually, the place is rather pack during weekends as well. I know this because I was suppose to have banana leaf rice with my sis (a long time ago) but we decided not to then because it was full house so we opted for KGB Burger instead.

We had to wait in the line for about 10- 20 minutes before we are being seated. However, the good thing is that while in line they will already be taking your orders so it speed things up very much. Once you are seated, the food will come flying in almost immediately.

Ordering while in line

Queuing

Once being seated, the waiter lays a banana leaf in front of you. That's your plate!

I'm usually not the biggest fan when it comes to banana leaf rice because personally I feel that banana leaf rice meal is rather expensive though shops usually charge RM5- RM8 for a vegetarian meal.

For those who are not familiar with banana leaf rice meal, you will be get the basic set of vegetarian meal complete with rice (refillable for free), three types of vegetables (refillable), assorted curries (refillable), papadom and sometimes rasam.

For those who can eat a lot of rice, then this meal would be bang for buck! That's because you can eat a mountain of rice, a mountain of vege, and a sea of curries for that RM5- RM8. But for me, I'll usually be able to have one serving of rice and one serving of each of the three vege- so the meal becomes relatively more expensive for me.

However, I totally change my mind when I came to Nirwana maju. Why?

Because they have my favourite deep fried battered vege!!!!

Step 1: Three types of vegetables

From left, cucumbers in yogurt, stir fry long beans and.... DEEP FRIED PETOLA!!! I usually like deep fried bitter gourd but I could have this petola (Luffa) as a substitute anytime because it taste sooooo good!!

As you can see I asked for a lot of deep fried vege! Actually, I didn't really asked for more per se, I merely gushed that I loved this vege lots and when the waiter who was putting the vege on my banana leaf heard me and saw my enthusiasm he smiled and say "You like ah?" and scoop me extra portion! Teehee.

Step 2: Add on rice

Step 3: Add on curry

Step 4: Add on side dishes

As I mention, the basic banana leaf meal is vegetarian (RM8) so if you need meat in your meat then feel free to order some side dishes! We had fried chicken (RM5) and mutton varuval (RM7). The chicken was awesome, love how well they marinated the chicken. There's no chance that the meat was left unflavoured. The skin was salty crispy good!!

The mutton, on the other hand, wasn't the best I've ever taste. My bestie's mum could probably cook better varuval:)

Complete meal 

Well, actually the meal came with one free papadom and rasam that we decline. Papadom is one of my favourite but it's not refillable so you only will have ONE free piece. So what do you do?

Order a basket of papadom!!!! Duh.

One basket of papadom

The papadom at Nirwana Maju is one of the best that I have tasted. Not oily, very thin, light and crispy. You can eat them like snacks and not feel turn off (muak) after eating a couple! Forgot how much an additional basket cost though? 

All in all, an extremely good place to have banana leaf rice. If you're on budget, you could just opt for the basic set (rice, 3 vege, curry, papadom, rasam) and get lots and lots of deep fried vege as refill! Very worth it!

Happy weekend everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment