Saturday 13 September 2014

Fat Spoon, Uptown Damansara

This week was a little relaxing for me because I only had to work for 6 hours in a week. Since it's Naomi's first week of the new university sem, I think she's also a bit free haha So we took the opportunity to go around to try out new food!

After watching "Maze Runner" (which was really good, better than the Hunger Games), we decided to have lunch outside and thought that we should try the Cempedak popiah with ice- cream at Fat Spoon, Uptown Damasara.

Fat Spoon
Jalan SS21/1a, Damansara Utama

Fat Spoon Entrance

Set meal for lunch

Another one

Main door

The main door looks very old and scary LOL I always think that they are closed because of the perception from the main entrance door. It's like rundown and abandoned. But that's the theme of Fat Spoon, trying to recreate the oldies vintage kinda shop I think. It's interesting to see the big fat spoon that is used instead of the normal door handle/knob.

Following are pictures of interior of Fat Spoon:

Tables

There were a few types of tables to create a variation in design. It was quite lovely actually. We sat on the wood/steel table with lots of "old marks". There were also marble tables. Marble tables always remind me of old chinese shops, like those kopitiam.

Our table with "old marks" to make it look old, lol

Lightings

Big mirror

Fat Spoon doesn't have very big space, they probably can accommodate about 50 people inside the shop? So they had a huge ass mirror to create an optical illusion of a larger space. Very much like KGB Burger, Bangsar.

Old kitchen utensils hanging above the tables as deco

Counter

Cutlery

Menu

Okay, so we were attracted to Fat Spoon solely for their recommended dessert- Cempedak Popiah with ice- cream but since it was about 5pm and we haven't had lunch, we decided to just have their main courses as well.

It took us a while to choose what to eat. Usually this happens for two reasons: (1) The selection is so awesome that we just don't know which to pick, we want it all!!! (2) Selection is not of our preference, so we're deciding based on the cheapest and thinking if we should just share the main course or just go for desserts.

In this case, it was reason (2). Yup, nothing much on the menu for main courses. I was actually craving for western food, so probably that made the menu seem more unappetizing than it actually is. But I was so hungry so this was what I ordered:

Ulam Fried Rice, RM12

I had Ulam Fried Rice for RM12, very heartache because I could have settled for my favourite nasi kandar, have my favourite thigh part of the chicken and have more vege for half the price. Nevertheless, it was rather tasty meal, just relatively expensive.

The portion given was rather little for the amount I was paying. I was given so less long beans that it looks sad even from the picture. The fried rice was okay, just that I had ulam poking my throat so I had to mix it with the sambal they have. The chicken was not too bad either, just that it's not as fragrant as my nasi kandar's one LOL

The papadom is as tasty as the nasi kandar ones!

My sis who was also having a hard time deciding, finally decided to go safe with Curry Chicken Rice.

Curry Chicken Rice, RM10

The curry tasted very home cooked which was good but the downfall was this thick layer of oil. My sister said that they gave her lots of rice so she couldn't finish it. Same portion of beans as mine. 

As for drinks, we scrooged on warm water RM1 per cup so no pics on that.

Cempedak Popiah with ice- cream, RM12

Finally, dessert came!! The pull of Fat Spoon- Cempedak Popisah with ice- cream! This is really really good. We were given 5 popiah with cempedak fruit as fillings. Warm and sweet so yummy! Tasted even better with the vanilla ice- cream.

I was hoping that the ice- cream is homemade since it's their specialty but then I figure out that it's just Walls ice- cream. My sis and I shared the dessert so each of us fork out RM3. For the yumminess, it was worth it!

So I suppose the best thing we had there was the Cempedal Popiah dessert. Their other desserts like the Red Velvet cake cost about RM6 I think. They also had chocolate cake with ice- cream I think that cost about RM15.

Our bill came in a story book:

Story book used to collect money

It really is a normal story book, they just paper clipped the receipt. You close the hardcover book and hand the money back to them. Creative!

Though the food was not bad, the dessert was really good, I think I won't be returning anytime soon. Not my kind of main courses, and I think I'm able to recreate that yummy cempedak dessert at home- with ice- cream that I can buy off any supermarket counter:)

1 comment:

  1. eh, you forgot to stamp a "contoh" on the money hahaha

    ReplyDelete