Monday 17 August 2015

Water Works Laksa @ Jalan Kolam Air, JB

This is the last stale post in my draft! So after this I can catch up with my latest food hunt in Kuching and Pattaya! WOOT! So I'm a proud Johorean and even if my state isn't as famous as Penang in terms of food, we still have pretty good food if you know where to find.

I bet most people have heard of Water Works Laksa at Kolam Air, JB but I decided to note this down in my blog because this place always reminds me of my grandparents, my mum's side that is. My grandparents, I call them ah kong (grandpa) and ah ma (grandma) would often patronise this place usually for breakfast and then pack back their famous laksa and otak- otak for us. My ah ma still does that till today though whenever my uncle brings her for breakfast there.

I personally find that the laksa is a little overrated though they do have really good otak- otak. But the otak- otak aren't produced in house anyway. But whenever I hear about this place, it makes my heart all fuzzy because it's has a sentimental value attached to it. I miss my ah kong;'(

So if you haven't tried it, give it a go!

Water Works Laksa
Jalan Kolam Air, JB


This is the shop that you are looking for. 

The road leading there is a one way street so if you miss it you will have to make a round back to that one way street. People usually park illegally along the roads but yeah, so far no problem from the police HAHA

I'll show you the otak- otak which I like first! I think it tasted better when we had it there at the shop. Somehow when it gets packed back home and reheated it doesn't taste as good but by no means lousy.

A basket of otak- otak placed on every table

If you're not interested in it then just don't touch it and you won't be charged. But for me, I doubt a basket is enough LOL

Inside!


Another thing that I like about Water Works laksa is that they have their own in house drinks like this cincau drink! Love how natural and homemade it is. Not as sweet as other shops usually served them which is a plus because I'm not a big fan of sweet stuffs. Yes, despite my flabby body I don't have a sweet tooth. Can't say the same for carbs though. I loveeee crabs especially when it comes in the form of bread and pastries :X

Cincau drink

The famous laksa!

I think this is the small version of the laksa. If Ive not mistaken it comes in different serving portion with respective prices. A small one would cost about RM5 I think? Sorry this blog post has been sitting in drafts since a few months ago so my memory fails me.

You see the greenish garnish on the laksa? Well, that's something that I don't personally fancy because it makes gives out this weird smell and taste. Not sure what leaf is that though? Is that like turmeric leaf???

The taste of the soup infected by that garnish gives me a headache. No joke, I really don't like that garnish just like how some people really hate parsley. OMG is that parsley?!

Side dish, fried beancurd skin. DAMN expensive!

Mum ordered an extra serving of fried beancurd skin and for that few miserable hollow pieces they charge us almost the same price as a bowl of laksa! I forgot how much exactly but I remembered clearly that it was so not worth it. I think they gave us like 5- 6 pieces of beancurd skin without any fish paste inside k! So expensive and after eating them, my throat felt funny like how you would feel after eating oily stuff. 

Oh! I found a picture of the menu for your easy reference!

Okay, I got to go finish my work and then start on my Kuching and Pattaya food hunt! To whoever who's still reading this, thanks for sticking on despite my lack of update for more than a month. PhD kills seriously. 

No comments:

Post a Comment