Thursday 14 August 2014

Bob's Kitchen, Johor Bahru

It's been a pretty hectic week but I thought that I should have some "me time" to write down my thoughts before I forget what I was suppose to be thinking LOL

So this was when I was back in my hometown, Johor Bahru for nearly two weeks. Met up with my friends and I decided to try this new place out. Simren suggested many nice places at Sutera Utama but then I wanted to try out Bob's Kitchen because my sis said that the food was rather good and I was attracted by the deco of the place.

Bob's Kitchen 
Danga Utama Commercial Centre

Bob's Kitchen entrance

See what I told ya? The entrance to the restaurant look really catchy right! Can't blame me for being attracted to this place. Love how they have their fonts in such retro style. Looks like those dressing table bulbs! 

BK

When I was there there was this Buy 1 Free 1 promo going on. According to Naomi, it's worth the buy. She got herself and her friend two types of steak for the price of one. So that's like bang for buck. However, there is a catch to this luring promo- Everyone has to have their own main course.

Which means if you and your companions are in even numbers the deal makes sense because buy 1 main course (for yourself) free 1 main course (for your companion). But when you are there with odd number companions then the deal becomes rather redundant.

For me, there were three of us (odd numbers). Note: Everyone at the table HAS TO HAVE a main course. In order for us to do that we have to buy 2 main courses to get another 2 free. Which also means that we will have one extra portion of main.

The main course ain't cheap of course, if I've not mistaken mains starts from RM20.

Dessert menu

The desserts are not very cheap either. I didn't try their dessert so I can't comment much about it but based on their food/ drinks I was relieved that I didn't order desserts:X

Naomi recommended their chocolate lava cake, she said it was good. Usually, her food reviews are rather accurate but this time I felt like I headed the wrong blog recommendation LOL

Beverages menu

Interior, ground floor

Interior, top floor

Interior 2, top floor

Stairway up to the second floor

The initial plan was for us to meet up for lunch. But I had some home cooked food before I left home and the promo deal wasn't to our best interest as well so we just snacked there. For this I kena kao kao from Simren who was expecting everyone to actually EAT and not snack LOL

Nit and I shared the expensive mushroom tacos.

Mushroom tacos, RM14.99

I was rather dissapointed with the tacos because it tasted so cheap and bland! I think there were only a few strands of mushroom and lots of lettuce. Wait, by lots I mean more lettuce than mushroom- they should have called it lettuce tacos. As you can see from the picture above, the good thing is that their tacos are the crispy type but the downfall is that the edges are mostly burned.

Guacamole was bland, sour cream tasted okay. I just wasn't getting value for the price I paid. 

So Simren was mood out by us not EATing properly, she just ordered mushroom soup which tasted slightly diluted. The good point is that it is homemade, as in they made it from a scratch using mushrooms and cream etc but I just made mushroom soup for dinner yesterday- the Campbell soup from the can and it tasted better:(

Mushroom soup, RM7.99

Strawberry milkshake RM12.99 | Chocolate milkshake RM12.99

For drinks, I was rather excited to see milkshake on the menu! I love milkshakes so I ordered Strawberry milkshake and Nit ordered the Chocolate one. It tasted not too bad, something like frozen strawberry milk with ice blended. No thick creamy ice cream taste.

While it isn't horrible, it definately shouldn't cost us RM12.99! For that quality, I say RM8 would be more than sufficient.

So Simren wanted an alcoholic drink in the mornnig (#smirks) and I agreed to share the Irish coffee with her because it ain't cheap. Simren asked me if I knew what alcohol is used in Irish Coffee. The naive me answered: Irish cream!

Simren's reaction =.="

HAHAHHAHA It make sense what! Irish cream (liquour) in Irish coffee la. Apparently not, they used whisky?!

Irish coffee, RM17.99

The waiter who brought the coffee over teased Simren of having alcohol so early in the morning LOL. But to her defense, it wasnt't thaaaaat early, it was 12pm already hehe And, according to Simren you wouldn't notice much of the alcohol till you actually finish the drink.

It was my first Irish coffee ever! I was quite excited to try it. So I took a sip, a big one and... OMFG it burns!!!

WTF it felt like I was downing concentrated hard liquor!  What happened to "supposed to notice alcohol only after you finish the drink"? 

I think the bartender got a bit too excited and poured way too much liquor in the coffee. Nit who was sitting right across the table could smell the strong alcohol smell when Simren was gulping away. Yes, GULPING! 

Okay, perhaps a few gulps only LOL

Simren 'high' after first gulp

Since I couldn't take it after three sips, and Simren couldn't stand it after a few huge gulps we just left three quarters of Irish Coffee there. Our RM17.99 burned! Seriously, it was undrinkable! Now to think of it I should have asked them to redo the coffee.

Really wasted.

Simren, a doctor who usually drinks (hehehehe) also gave up.
So for our snacking session, guess what was the damage? RM77.65!!!!!

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

*horror face*

*super horror face*

Damage

I felt so really bad for recommending the place to Simren and Nit. I have ever ever made such a food blunder before! I really felt humiliated! The food and beverage was below average yet we were charged such a price! Could have nicely ate at some other cafes nearby.

But, I got to give it to the workers there (except the top floor waitress who was suppose to be on standby mode) for great service! The moment you stepped into Bob's Kitchen they will tend to you really nicely. The waiter was really friendly and crack jokes as well when serving.

So verdict, never returning but I love their exterior deco much!

My vege bestie

No comments:

Post a Comment