Thursday 7 August 2014

Mikey's Original New York Pizza, Bangsar

I've been wanting to try out Mikey's New York Pizza since they officially opened (initially they only opened for dinner) especially since everyone who went there had nothing but praise for their pizza! But then I had to postpone my visit till I actually had enough money LOL

Yes, their pizza is slightly on the pricier side and since it's a new york pizza, I reckoned I needed at least three slices of pizza to be full which would cost me about RM30+

Finally, about 2 weeks back I had my dinner at Mikey's! The queue wasn't too long. Actually there were about three groups of people in front of us but we immediately got our seats since we could settle for seats at the high chair.

The rest wanted a proper grounded table so they waited.

I would have waited too but my companions thought that high chairs are fine so I compromised:P

Mikey's Original New York Pizza
Jalan Telawi 2, Bangsar

Mikey's New York Pizza, Bangsar

It's partially self service. You would have to go to the counter to place your order and foot the bill. Once done, they will give you a table number... more like a table plat, that's your table number. We got "Ave B" as our table number. At first, I was puzzled when they cashier handed me this upon payment, then he explained that it's my table number.

Oh. 

Okay.

Table plat: Ave B

Pretty cool table number I must say, good for cam whoring

While we waited for our food, I took a few pictures. Maybe just two pictures because I was on the high chair and I didn't dare to move much. So I quickly turn a little, to whatever possible angle and quickly snapped some pics with my sweaty palms.

Pizza counter with menu in chalks on top

Mirror on the wall to make the place look bigger

Interior of Mikey's

Something challenging about Mikey;s (No, not the high chair) is that they have this 911 Challenge! You would have to finish eating one whole 18" 911 Pizza within 45 minutes. The prize for the winner includes:
  •  RM500 cash!!!!
  • Free 911 pizza that you ate
  • Free drinks on that visit
  • Free cash vouchers for the next visit (I think)
  • A picture of you on the Wall of Fame and all other social media sites
  • Free tshirt
  • Bragging rights!
I was very excited about the challenge. So far I think they only got one winner for this 911 challenge. And all competitors were male! I thought it would be great to be the first female attempting the 911 challenge, and who knows win it! 

I could use that RM500! Pay off my one month rent. Or maybe get myself a pair of pretty shoes for graduation.

Anyway, I ended up not taking the challenge because someone convinced me that it's crazy to do so. But I'm still itching to give it a go. The bad thing is that if they use the same spice as that of their buffalo wings then I will not be able to take it. Not that it's spicy, but it stinks. More on that later.

So our drinks arrive  after a few minutes.


Coke and mineral water comes in the upgrade package. The New York Egg Cream, RM9 comes by itself.

This was what we ordered:
  1. Classic New York Pizza + Meatball Pizza + Upgrade 1 (Brooklyn Waffle Fries + Coke)
  2. The Tony Soprano + Upgrade 2 (Boneless Buffalo Chicken Wings + Mineral Water)
  3. Pizza Bianco + New York Egg Cream

Upgrade 1 cost RM12, Upgrade 2 cost RM13.

Classic New York Pizza, RM8.88

Fairly safe pizza to have. Good crust- thin and good texture. But it tasted very normal though. Fresh but normal. Nothing to shout about.

Meatball Pizza, RM10.88

This is Mikey's favourite pizza. The thing is it tasted the same as the Classic New York Pizza, just that it has additional tiny meatball chunks on it. It's one fresh topping pizza with good crust and base, but again mediocre in taste.

After tasting these two pizza, I started to feel skeptical about all the good reviews that were raving about the pizza's in this place.

Then came my pizza,

Tony Soprano Pizza, RM15.88

The Tony Soprano Pizza is fantastic! Love the meaty toppings very generously served. I'm a big fan of peperoni and beef so it's thumbs up for me! Finally a pizza that taste more than mediocre. 

But! But... but... I have no idea why their pizza crust was so soggy. When I try holding it up in one hand, and before I could actually fold it and eat it the pizza slumps like a soggy wet diapers. Only if it had the right pizza base like the Classic NY, it would have been perfect!

But then again RM15.88 for a slice of pizza, not too sure whether it's worth it.

Pizza Bianco, RM10.88

This Pizza Bianco is the chef's favourite! It has four types of cheese on it but surprisingly it's very light to the palate. Initially I thought having this pizza would make me muak after a few bites but no, my sis could actually finish this up all by herself and still have tummy space for another slice!

She had to spread out the big chunk of cheese though.

Cheese on Pizza Bianco being spreaded out

The downfall of Pizza Bianco, the base was superrrrr hard! You gotta chew it several times before you can get it down your throat. Why must there be a downfall in their good pizza? Ughhh, I blame my high expectations of the place.

Buffalo chicken wings, RM12.88

The Buffalo Chicken Wings, ugh.. how do I put it? It has this very pungent smell and taste from both the chicken batter and the Blue Cheese dipping. At first, I thought the Blue Cheese was the culprit of the overpowering smell but no, it was the chicken itself too!

Not too sure if buffalo wings are supposed to be like this? Once you take your first bite, please take a small bite first, and inhale... the smell actually pierce you nasal cavity! Just like how Wasabi reacts!

I could only have one wing and pass the whole basket of lovely looking chicken to someone else.

Brooklyn Fries, RM12.88

My favourite dish of the day has gotta be the Brooklyn Fries!!! Mikey's pizza was rather a let down for me but at least they had awesome fried to make up for that loss. Brooklyn fries is served with melted Cheddar cheese and tasty beef gravy! A little pricey but it was worth it! 

I particularly like my fries crunchy. I like dips too. But the fries should still be crunchy at a certain extend even after it's being dipped. And that's what you'll have with the Brooklyn Fries.

So in a nutshell, Mikey's pizza are very homemade tasting but somehow it's not awesome. Sadly, this makes the pizza price relatively expensive. But, their fries rocks! Please, take my money and gimme fries! LOL

Ending with a picture of me and Tony Soprano. Notice I could only hold it up properly now for a picture after eating 85% of it.

Tony Soprano, delicious topping but sadly soggy pizza base

1 comment: