Wednesday 5 November 2014

NY Steak Shack, Midvalley

Holiday has officially started for me this week. Yeah, I'm suppose to be having 'holidays' since June earlier this year because I've completed my Honours in May but because I need to pay rent and food and all, I decided that I don't mind suffering for a few months (working) before I start my PhD.

Life has been good since Monday where I wake up at 12 noon everyday LOL No need to wake up and rush for work! So best! But then again looking back, I'm pretty happy with my decision to work. While working, I was living up the theories that I learnt from textbooks. Now I know how it works practically. 

Btw, did you noticed that Popeyes Malaysia has shut down?

Popeyes was my favourite alternative for fried chicken whenever I was bored with KFC. The last time I had it in Sunway Pyramid, I realised that their famous mash potato tasted different (No chicken bits in the gravy). The next time I wanted to visit, the whole store was shut down!

To my horror, the Popeyes outlet in Midvalley is also gone! It was so sudden, I couldn't handle it's demise for a while :X

So guess what replaced Popeyes at every outlet?

NY Steak Shack
LG Midvalley 
(A few doors away form Texas Chicken)

NY Steak Shack Midvalley from Google

Gone is my favourite Popeyes and here comes the affordable beef steak joint! I needed closure so I googled about Popeyes shutting down but how come nobody is talking about it? That's odd. I mean it's not like they lack business, the business is always good especially in Sunway Pyramid. 

Did anyone even realised that they are gone? :(

Anyway, last week we wanted to have malay mix rice for lunch so one of the place that I know that sells cheap yet quite yummy malay mix rice is in Midvalley/Gardens. It's a foodcourt smacked right between Midvally and Garden's LG walkway. 

Too bad, no seats. So I suggested NY Steak Shack since my companion was behaving like an angry hungry monster LOL. 

Entrance

Counter at the back

Deco

Cutlery

Promotion going on

Despite their name "NY" the place is rather Malaysian-ised- Maggi chili/ tomato sauce:P Also they mash potato gravy tasted strongly of Maggi Chicken Stock. The food serving size was also rather Malaysian because the portion was quite tiny, it was as if an appetiser.

But for the price that you are paying for steak, it's reasonable so I can't complain much.

150g Sirloin Steak RM25.90
Sides: Mash, Corn on Cob

Despite the gravy being too "Maggi", the texture of the mash was pretty decent. Obviously you can't compare it to the ones at Chili. That would be unfair. But I assure you that the mash potato is better than KFC, though KFC has better mash gravy:S

But but, the corn on cob was super juicy!!

The kernels were fat and full of juice that when my companion bit on the corn, the corn juice splattered right across the table, directly on my face! :O

I was shocked when I felt liquid splattered on my face. And when I bit on my corn, the juice splattered back at him! LMAO It's no revenge okay? Just an accident :P

150g Ribeye RM25.90
Sides: Fries, Corn on Cob

I opted for an unhealthy serving of potatoes i.e. FRIES!!! Fries were yummy, those straight cut fat ones not the shoe string type. Fries weren't homemade but I could live with factory manufactured ones.

BEEF

My beef was the 150g Ribeye. You can opt for the 200g ones but I chose 150g because I was skeptical about the beef cooking skills of cheap beef. I'm rather picky with my beef so if it turns out chewy then I'll either return the beef (and make the waiter angry) or I'll just not eat it. 

150g is really little, if you were to fold my into one you could easily slide it between buns to make beef burger. I requested for it to be medium well but it came well done. Surprisingly, the meat was not chewy (even if it was well done)! Considering the fact that the meat was so so thin, I thought they would have screw up my beef.

So I was pleasantly surprised! No doubt I was still hungry after my meal but the beef was actually quite good for the price that I'm paying. Obviously, it wouldn't taste very westernised like those you get at TGIF but remember you're paying only a fraction for the beef at NY Steak Shack.

My budget drink: Sky Juice RM0.50

I'll come back if I have a nagging craving for beef and if I can't afford proper ones LOL Btw, I noticed this one waiter that would go the extra mile by asking if you would like him to serve the gravy on the beef for you. I didn't get his name though. Oh, and he doesn't smile much either :S

p.s. Still upset that they took away my Popeyes

2 comments:

  1. I too just realized both the outlet is closed down but wasn't too convince, am going to check out the other 2 outlets in TTDI and Curve. But high chances they are not there too, I suspect they are not renewing the franchise license and most probably spending the money on Texas Chicken franchise license. Texas Chicken has similar menu to Popeye but not as good. Misses Popeye....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh well. Btw, I just tried Texas Chicken's Jalapeno Bombers, and surprisingly they are major YUMS!

      Delete