Friday 17 October 2014

Warung Talaga, Bandung

I'm so hungry now I can eat a whole cow! Been having buffet cravings lately but buffets ain't cheap so I'll just have to wait till next month for my Dim Sum buffet! Talking about buffet, I'm still thinking whether I should blog about a birthday buffet that I had earlier in March this year? Hmm.

So the last few posts about Bandung, Indonesia. This was the second last night in Bandung if I have not mistaken. Off we went to Paris Van Jawa mall again because it's the closest mall- just one angkut ride away.

I think the purpose of me going there was to buy some groceries back to Malaysia. I always have this habit visiting supermarkets the night before I depart just to stash back some snacks.

Warung Talaga
Glamour Level D-12A
Paris Van Jawa Mall, Bandung
021-29310599

Entrance

Wall deco using olden days' biscuit tins

More deco at the counter

Interior

Notice the hawker style trolley stall and the DIY curtains at the back. So much effort put in details.

I suppose their theme is vintage? They wanted to recreate the old school laid back feeling of dining at cheap stalls. Even their tables were wrapped in a floral printed table cloth that really enhanced the old school-ness of the place. Very lovely.

Menu 1

Menu 2

Es Teh Tawar, IDR 11,000 | Sukacau IDR17,000


Those were the drinks that we ordered. Sukacau is soy bean drink with cincau, tasted better but it was decent enough. Actually I was thinking if I buy Yeo's soy bean and Cincau and then mix it together it would prolly taste better:|

Nasi Tutung Spesial, IDR37,000

This was either Gaya's or Darshini's dinner. Nasi Tutung sounds very cute LOL What you will get for about RM11 is steam rice, fried chicken (thigh), tempeh, keropok and sambal. The chicken thigh looks ridiculously small but the all the chickens there are about that size!

Gaya mentioned that those chicken are real chicken. Real chicken as in chickens that run free and are not injected with any antibiotic. So without the synthetic hormones, they grow up retaining their original size and not turned out to be some hulk- chicken.

Sneak peak of rice

I just noticed that it isn't just normal steam white rice if not they would have called it Nasi Putih instead of Nasi Tutug right? I googled and it says that this steam rice is cooked with oncom (fermented soybean, very much like tempeh).

Bebek Goreng IDR30,500

I wasn't feeling so hungry that night so I decided to get duck for dinner without rice. I was a bit scared of rice by that time because I had rice for each and every meal except the first night where we had the most delicious BBQ Chicken with Cheese Dips!

Ughhh! Craving for Richeese's BBQ Chicken. Why don't they set up a franchise in Malaysia? Good food are meant to be shared no? lol

Btw, notice the plate that the duck is served in. So old school, I like!

One more shot of duck

Since this small piece of duck cost me abut RM9 so I have to post one more picture of it haha It tasted okay, not to bad but I have better braised duck back here in Malaysia. Actually, one of my ah kong's signature dish is braised duck! 

Now my mum has inherited the cooking skills for that dish. The only problem of passing down the recipe is that... there is no recipe. It's all based on taste and tell. It's no wonder I never cook according to exact measurements but would be able to recreate the dish anytime, it runs in the family LOL

Batagor IDR21,000

I also ordered Batagor because the duck obviously wasn't enough. Batagor is one of the dish that I have been dying to try but the only problem is that I can't have roadside stall food because Gaya say that my tummy wouldn't be used to it. 

Finally got my Batagor here! Very yummy, I like it lots lots lots!! Tofu and tempeh and fishcakes battered and deep fried dipped in chili kicap sauce. MAD LOVES!

Gaya said that if this was fantastic for me, I'd go crazy if I taste the roadside stall's one because apparently there are 100x tastier than the one that I just had :O

One more shot of Batagor because I love you so so much, teehee

Tahu Samosa, IDR 17,500

Also ordered Tahu Samosa but this wasn't to my liking. The fillings were tofu bits and vege but it tasted too bland and the skin of the samosa was too thick for my liking. Good thing Gaya helped me finish it off.

Even if its about RM5 only but it's still money, its still food okay? If you see how kids on the street risking their lives jumping on and off the angkut just to get IDR2000 (about RM0.60) by playing music, you wouldn't want to waste even 1cm of your yucky samosa.

Bandung really humbled me.

Samosa filling

The end! I'm going to make some homemade potato wedges to go with my nuggets for dinner tonight! A bit lazy, but I've got this whole bag of potatoes! :D

On the side note, I kind of envy my friends who got a chance at studying overseas. Like for Kave she got go drink barrels of super fresh milk and Gaya, the amount of yummy and cheap food that she got to eat for 5 years! Holy cow!

But then again, I'm thankful for what I have and so I'll travel more to make up for the uneaten food. Does that even make sense? haha

1 comment: