Friday 3 October 2014

Pisang Goreng, PJ Oldtown

It is a long holiday again!!! If you have been following this rather unknown blog, lol, you would know that not too long ago it was also a long holiday (Malaysia Day) of which I went jungle trekking! Of course, the motivation for trekking was the seafood and whatnot.

So this time round, I'm planning a morning jog at a park instead of ATV or Laser Tag or Escape Room since I'm on a tight budget. Now whenever I hear the word budget or money or salary or allowance I get so pissed off. Why? Because the organisation that I am working with have not paid me my August salary.

Enough of the rant though I really feel like bitching about it. 

I'm a fan of pisang goreng. Actually I like everything deep fried! hehe When I'm desperate I'll go for any pisang goreng that I can lay my hands on. But! When I actually have the time, I'll try to scout for better pisang goreng- apparently the 'famous' ones.

I was wondering if you heard of:

Pisang Goreng PJ Old Town (In front of Hong Leong Bank)
 Jalan Othman 1/14


Apparently they sell good snacks like the goreng pisang. When I was googling about them, I noticed several media coverage such as this and this. 

Decided that it should be worth checking it out myself. So there I went!

Actually, I've been trying to check it out several times on a weekend but they were closed so if you wanna snack, it opens only on weekdays if I've not mistaken.

Stall right in front of Hong Leong bank

Various kuih for sale

More snack like curry puff, tauhu sumbat, cucur udang, kuih ketayap etc

The station where they freshly fry those snacks, yums!

And these were our haul! It was suppose to be afternoon snack but I think cumulatively it was as heavy as a lunch, yay!

Onde- onde, RM1

I thought the onde- onde look very pretty and very promising. The price of one pack should be RM if I've not mistaken, either that or RM2. I'm a fan of onde- onde but it's pretty hard to find good onde- onde these days.

The ones here are so- so. I wouldn't buy them again though. Out of the 6, two of them were still half raw so my sister was chewing on flour which then got stuck all over her mouth, eww! I'll later tell you in a seperate post on where to find really good onde- onde!

Pisang goreng

I think this banana fritters were sold like 3 for RM1. It's not too bad actually, it's batter is similar to the pisang goreng in Section 14 PJ right in front of the Digital Mall. I prefer batter like pisang goreng sold at SS15 Subang Jaya though, the only problem is that that SS15's banana usually isn't sweet enough.

After tasting this banana, I was puzzled on why people were making a hoo haa about it? It's not thaaaat fantastic after all. It was just mediocre but if you're in the vicinity and are craving for some pisang goreng, this would still do.

Popiah basah

Popiah basah is also one of my favourite snack and that's why I was so excited when I saw the variety of snacks they sold at the stall. I can say 90% of them are my favourite! Regardless, the popiah basah there was horrible!!!!

It was so dry, the shrimp paste was not fragrant, it was not basah (wet). A waste of my RM2 I think. The best popiah basah would be the one of Taman Medan, if I've not mistaken. People from where I interned at used to stock up on these babies during functions and I LOVEEE them so much!

Talking about my internship organisation, oh man... I really miss them. I hope they miss me too lol Oh, also their cafeteria serves really good Ayam Goreng Berempah (Spiced fried chicken).

Moving on,

Now, out with all the yucky and mediocre snacks, here are some snacks that are really worth the buy! Or so I think.

Jemput- jemput pisang aka Cekodok Pisang

Jemput- jemput was quite good! Not too stingy with their banana and their flour proportion was rather fair. The best jemput- jemput pisang I had is still the one in JB, below the bridge heading up to Taman Impian Emas :P

Jemput- jemput pisang is sold at 4 for RM1, I think.

And the best snack of the day goes to...

Cucur Udang!!!!


This awesomesauce snack cost only RM1 but it was really really good!!! The batter made it all crispy yet fluffy at certain parts. Love crispy cucur udang! They weren't stingy with prawns either, so you could definately taste the prawn essence! The downfall would be that it's slightly on the oilier side but who cares if it's yummy and if you're eating it once in a while LOL

I bought it in the evening but kept some for later because I couldn't finish it, too much food. I later had it at night for dinner and holy cow it still is tasty! Hats off to them for this snack, I'd definitely come back for more:D

So in the end, it wasn't the pisang goreng that was the bazooka for the stall, it was the lovely lovely cucur udang!

1 comment: