Thursday 4 December 2014

70's Ice Ball, Armenian Street Penang

The problem with not writing about your trip immediately after you return home is that there's this possibility of you getting all lazy and the enthusiasm to write and share about the interesting places or food diminishes greatly.

Been rather caught up with journal reading which means that the laptop screen is taking a toll on my eyes. Good news! My sis brought up the unused monitor from back home so I've a bigger screen now!

Last month, my sis and I decided to have a vacation in Penang! Penang has become a must go place for me at least once a year so if you haven't heard of the BEST drink to cool you down under the scorching heat of the island and the BEST fried oyster read this

Armenian Street, Georgetown
Penang

Sis with the famous kids on bicycle mural

I've been to Penang for the fourth time now and whenever I'm there I'm never interested in wall arts or in fact any artsy stuff because all my focus would be on food. Each and every moment on the island I'll be thinking about what food should I have next? 

But this time round, my sis wanted very much to check out the famous wall paintings and I obliged since there wasn't much to do after eating anyway.

If you are into artsy stuff head over to Armenian Street!

Here you can find lots of wall paintings and really pretty artsy shops like this

Love the patch work blankets, rattan chairs and cloth anyaman stools! I bet they aren't cheap so I didn't bother to check the price. I would love to have the patchwork blanket for Christmas though!! 

Talking about blankets, my sis always complains that my blanket is too thin to be acknowledge as a 'blanket'. My argument... Malaysian weather what! LOL

Outside the artsy shop they had this DIY road pointers. Thought they look nice as camwhore props :P

And they grow plants out of old shoes!!

And we walked and walked and walked till she took lots of pictures with all nice and the.... not too nice wall paintings/ artsy stuff.

Not so nice artsy stuff:X

For me, a person who is not interested in wall paintings, I am attracted to Armenian street because of...

70's Ice Ball, Armenian Street!!!

70's ice ball stall outside the shop

Last time during my mum and dad's days, this was their snack! I think they didn't had the money to indulge in cafe (which I think they would consider a luxury only affordable by Westerners) like what we are doing these days i.e. cakes, macaroons, tea etc. 

So they had ice balls!

I've always been a big fan of ais kacang aka ABC so I was tremendously excited when I saw this! I mean, I've seen people posting pictures of them and the ice ball in Penang but I totally forgot about it (hence, not in my food list) but was pleasantly surprised when I stumble upon this shop nonetheless! 

Seller filling up two bowls full with shaved ice. Then she topped one bowl on top of the other. Removed the top bowl, compact and rotated the ice shavings into a ball!

There were many flavours available on the menu and the best part is that we can have two flavours!! Also, if you like you can request for asam boi (extra charge I think).

I suggested syrup because it's old school. Syrup would be the exact flavour that they used to have on ice balls during my mum and dad's days!!! 

Of course, back in those days they also put milk and chocolate on the ice balls. Dad said he would always ask for more chocolate but the seller would be a scrooge because chocolate was expensive those days (Now also expensive what, lolol).

For the second flavour, sis chose Sarsi!

Sarsi on the ball

Plenty of syrup on the ball!!!

Tada! 70's ice ball!

The seller told us that we are suppose to just suck the syrup from the ice ball and not munch on the ice so that's what I was doing. 

Then came this group of older people who were also very excited about the ice ball. Probably the last time they had it was when they were 5 or 6. So you can guess their age lol Anyway, the uncle was chomping down on his ice like a machineeeee! Eating ice ball like a boss!

His wife was funny though. She asked if they should all sanitized their hands before buying the ice ball and the husband got irritated and said , No need la!! HAHAHHHA The ice ball is served on a plastic tray though :P

Us with the 70's ice ball!!

Ice ball cost RM3 each! 

For the fun of it, and in the heat of the moment, I bought the ice ball withought thinking twice. But now that I've tried it and took lots of picture with it, I don't think I'll be spending RM3 on ice balls in the near future. It's just ice. And syrup. And all the hype of something we can't find these days, of course. 

Whenever I go to historical places or like have olden days food, I wonder what was I in my past life (if it does exist at all, JUST a silly thought la :S). You know like the Chinese TV series Scarlet Heart, there were times when they were doing the same thing (like walking at the palace) in different times?

So it felt like Déjà vu while I ate the ice ball:X

Okay, enough of this nonsense I'm cooking honey chicken today! Till the next post, bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment