Saturday 12 July 2014

Bazaar Ramadhan: TTDI, Seksyen 17, Seksyen 16 & Shah Alam

This is probably a very holy month for the Muslims because it is the fasting month. It is also a month that really test their patience because they won't get to eat or drink till the sun sets.

For me, I'm always looking forward towards Ramadhan because of the food bazaar! Love the idea that I'd be spoilt for food. During normal days its just so hard to find an auntie that sells a variety of kuih here in KL. Okay, maybe there are aunties around selling them but it's just that I'm not too familiar with their stalls.

But during Ramadhan I will get to fulfill my accumulated cravings for kuih! It's so easy to get them. I just have to drive two streets away and stash up on my favourite appetisers!

By the way, talking about testing patience I realised that for me the abstinence from food and drink would still be bearable. What really tested my patience was getting food from the bazaar. I was still in my zen mode throughout the day untill I went to the bazaar at Taman Tun Dr. Ismail where it was so packed!!

Had to squeeze through so many people while getting nudge all over. One hand of mine was grasping my purse closely and the other was up defensively protecting my boobs. Uh huh, who likes the feeling of their boobs being pressed against the person in front of you? Yucks.

There would be very annoying people pushing you from behind when there is just no space to go! Even if you let them forward, they would just be stuck right in front of you =.="

And when you finally reach the stall that you would like to buy your food from, you either have to queue a very long queue or you would meet a seller that packs food like a snail. All of these uncomfortable conditions on top of it being super hot till you feel sweat dripping down your backs and in between your boobs is really... really... testing your patience!

But that being said, I'd gladly go to bazaars over and over again HAHA!

Bazaar Ramadhan TTDI, Jln Tun Mohd Fuad


This was the first bazaar that I went to on the first day of the fasting month itself! Usually I will get myself some kuih for appetisers and then a main dish like rice or noodles- mostly rice. 

Nasi Ambeng, RM9

One of my all time favourite is Nasi Ambeng! I call it Nasi Ambang back in JB but maybe they have a slightly different name here in KL. Like how I call my soybean pudding "Tau Huay" back in my hometown but here in KL people call it "Taufufa".

Talking about Tau Huay, they have it at TTDI Bazaar and it looks very fresh and yummy! I'm not being racist but my personal opinion is that Tau Huay from Chinese aunties taste better (better texture) than the ones sold elsewhere. You can find them there too!

A picture of Tau Huay from Google

Back to Nasi Ambang/ Ambeng, my mum would always buy me this when Im back in JB. Its a dish where they serve you rice, noodles, meehoon, chicken, vegetables and salted fish! You just have to mix them together and enjoy the meal! Love love love the salted fish!

Thought I initially thought that the Nasi Ambang in TTDI is quite expensive, RM9 they really did give me a huge portion of meal! I had to eat it for two meals to finish it up! So it was worth it.

Nasi Ambeng preparation

Another of my favourite food is the Putu Piring! This is a steam rice flour (I think) with Gula Melaka inside! It my sisters' all time favourite too! This is also a snack that I can hardly find during normal days. I wonder where their stalls are?

Putu Piring

Piring means plate. It's probably called that because of the shape it takes- a flat plate shape. These also comes in other form like in a cylindrcal shape but those are call putu bambu. Bambu means bamboo. Served hot with shredded coconut so yummy!

Check out their steamer:

Putu Piring in Steamer

I forgot the exact price of the Putu Piring but I think it's RM4 for 8 pieces. If you decide to try this out be prepared to get in a long line. I was in the queue for about 30- 40 minutes! But the queue was worth it! 

The sugar in the centre is rather special because she 'plucked' the thick sugar! So it wasn't those Gula Melaka pieces/ crumbs, it was more like dodol consistency. Thick and nice!

Dodol picture from Google

Half and hour queue

Samosa & Popiah, RM1 each

You can also find giant Samosa (chicken/ beef filling) and popiah (vege filling) at TTDI! Its really huge so RM1 is worth it! The popiah skin is a bit too thick for liking but I love the chili sauce that came with it.

Bazaar Ramadhan Seksyen 17, PJ


This bazaar is my favourite because they have a variety of food but then it is not too crowded so I don't have to rub my boobies on anyone. Their food here is rather yummy, you can find at 3- 4 kuih stalls, at least 4 rice stalls, noodles/ meehoon/ kuey teow stalls, chicken stalls, drink stalls, FRESH JUICE stalls!

Fresh juice can be sold with or without ice! So it wouldn't get diluted by the time you have it back at home. One packet RM3, two packets RM5. Their watermelon and orange juice looks sooooo good! But I usually scrooge on my drinks because I've already spent on my food so I haven't got a chance to try it yet.

This bazaar is way better then the Seksyen 14 one which is also very close by. So if you are around the area, might as well head over to Seksyen 17 (opposite Jaya One).

Nasi Kukus Ayam Berempah, RM5.50

The above stall sells Nasi Kukus Ayam Berempah (steamed rice with spiced fried chicken)! I love their chicken, it has very crispy skin which has just the right amount of seasoning and the size of chicken that they give is rather huge!

I like the fact that they sell the yummy chicken with white rice because they gravy that they provide... OH MY GOSH, really delicious! The gravy is called Gulai, initially I thought its sweeter version curry, haha.

Usually stalls will sell this spiced fried chicken only with Nasi Lemak so I'm happy that I get to find a stall that serves it with white rice and gulai. Loves!

Nasi Tomato, RM5

Another favourite dish is the Nasi Tomato (Tomato rice)! The rice doesn't really taste like tomato per se but it looks a bit reddish. I love it because it comes with my favourite chicken cooking style! Ayam Masak Merah!!! ALL TIME FAVOURITE!!

Gotta learn how to cook this dish when I have a proper kitchen!

Favourite kuih stall

This is my regular kuih stall. One piece of kuih is priced at RM0.40! Cheap and yummy!! I'll usually have up to 4 pieces for appetisers and maybe another 4 pieces for breakfast the next morning. They sell rather good currypuffs and popiah (spring rolls).

I realised that their sweet kuih sells out really quickly. So if I want to buy their Seri Muka kuih, I'd have to go there earlier.

Kuih Seri Muka picture from Google 

Talking about kuih, there is this ridiculous kuih outlet in Sunway Pyramid which priced their kuih at such an absurb price! One kuih at Kueh Moi cost RM1.50, wtf. That's like triple the price of normal kuih!

Bazaar Ramadhan Seksyen 16, PJ


I'm only including this Seksyen 16 bazzar because of the famous Popiah Basah. Like every other good food, you would need to queue for it. I waited in the line under the rain okay? And I wasn't the only one so now you know how famous it is!

Popiah Basah Stall

The uncle who mends the stall is very friendly. He engages in small talks with the customers too. I like friendly sellers even if they already have so much existing customers. 

I bought two rolls of popiah because it was my first time trying it. Oh man! I should have bought extra! haha There were orders in 10s and 20s too!

Beautiful thin skin, as thin as the ones that's used to wrap Peking Duck!

Yummilicious filling

This popiah is really worth the queue because it tasted so good! The vegetables where rolled in generously and it wasn't too wet. I don't like it if the seller doesn't strains his vegetables before rolling them in because it would make the popiah very soggy.

But the most important taste that made this popiah so good was the prawn paste!! I could actually find a few shrimps inside!!!! They didn't scrooge on the prawn paste ingredient so the popiah was bursting in sweet seafood flavor. Hard to find generous sellers that don't scrooge on expensive ingredients. Very good, very very good.

Bazaar Ramadhan Shah Alam


I haven't got a change to actually visit this bazaar because I'd need to travel a bit but I manage to sample some of the food from that bazaar. Guess what they have? Fried mushroom!!! My favourite snack back at home!

Mum would also do tempura mushrooms/ yam for me when I'm home!

Fried Mushroom, RM2

The mushrooms has some seasoning on it. I think you can choose what toppings you want. Last year I went to Kelana Jaya Ramadhan Bazaar and they were selling fried mushrooms with cheese seasonings!!! The only downfall is that you would be able to have few decent pieces of mushrooms and the rest in the paper bags are just crumbs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment