Wednesday 16 July 2014

Jaipur Curry House, Bangsar + The Loaf, Sunway Pyramid

It's public holiday today and I got the rare chance to meet up with my bestie for breakfast. Since she's vegetarian I've gotta think of a place that offers good food, both vegetarian and non vegetarian. Sometimes I sigh when I think about suggesting our old favourite places such as Manhattan Fish Market, Sushi King, Steamboat (I mean not for breakfast) because obviously it would be insensitive to do so.

That's one of the reasons why I always have a headache thinking of where to go. For me it's not worth it paying for vegetarian food that's the same price as meat food. But I still want to go out and have good food with my bestie *Big sighs LOL

Anyway, today we decided to go for breakfast in our favourite shop! Jaipur Curry House!

Jaipur, Bangsar

This indian shop is located right opposite the Ramadhan bazaar. Same row as Secret Recipe. It's probably one of the few shops that I can find my putu mayam. Back in my hometown, this Indian uncle will usually ride his bike and sell putu mayam so we just have to stop him to get one pack of yummy putu mayam with lots of brown sugar and coconut.

Well, here in KL I have not seen such Indian uncle around. Maybe not around my housing estate. I hardly see Malay aunties selling yummy kuih. Where are all these uncles and aunties???

Btw, for those who are not familiar with putu mayam. It's an Indian delicacy made from rice flour if I've not mistaken. It looks like some kinda spider web vermicelli. 

Simple interior Jaipur

Oh yes, Jaipur serves really good beryiani too! I think their beryiani is priced at RM10+. There is a option or chicken of mutton if I've not mistaken. Chicken is slightly cheaper than mutton but for me mutton taste better. And yes, they have vegetarian beryiani as well.

When I say good it's really good because I recommended this place to one of my friend and he was sold after giving their beryiani a go! He's a big curry/spice fan so if Jaipur meets his criteria then you know that it's really really good hehe

Of course they do serve banana leaf rice as well, both vegetarian and non- vegetarian. They also have all types of roti (e.g. roti canai, telur, bom, apam, puri etc) on the menu. 

Indian uncle flipping/ stretching the dough to make roti canai

You could actually see the puri (deep fried dough) in the picture below. Usually when it's served to me it's still all puffed up but in the picture it has flatten :S

Mix rice dishes

So for breakfast, my first serving was putu mayam with brown sugar and coconut, RM0.80 and a piece of chicken currypuff, RM1.30. I have been craving for putu mayam for a long time and finally today my craving was fulfilled! Usually I crave that for dinner when I'm just sick and tired of eating all the complicated food- all I want is something light and easy i.e. putu mayam LOL

FYI, I only eat my putu mayam with brown sugar and coconut. Love how the sweetness of the sugar and the fattiness of the coconut merge! The thought of eating it with curry turns me off. Regardless, there are in fact many people who eats it with curry.

1st serving, putu mayam and currypuff

Swirled Putu mayam till all mixed up with sugar + coconut, heavenly!

 Nit's drink Bru coffee w fresh cow's milk, RM3.30. My drink Teh tarik kurang manis, RM1.30.

First round of breakfast wasn't enough for me so I had another piece of putu mayam. This time I also ordered deep fried bitter gourd, RM2 as my side dish. And no, we usually don't eat them together but I love fried bitter gourd so when it came out fresh from the kitchen I just had to get some!

Fried bitter gourd

I think Dr Vicki will disapprove of me snacking on fried food for breakfast, if she reads this post HAHA Oh ya, about the chicken currypuff it was okay. They were generous with the fillings where they give you chicken and potato but my only problem was that the currypuff was not hot. It did look hot in that heating tray though so I was expecting hot crunchy currypuffs. 

I think where currypuff is concerned I still rank IKEA currypuff #1! Gotta go back for more IKEA currypuff one of these days. 

Currypuffs for sale

***

The Loaf, Sunway Pyramid

One of my coursemate is leaving for Indonesia for good because he has completed his honours here and wouldn't be pursing PhD till further notice so we all had a farewell dinner last Sunday. All five of us (one more was already back in Indonesia), met at The Loaf, Sunway Pyramid for dinner.

I have tried their buns there (LOVE LOVE LOVE the cranberry cheese bun) but not their main courses so it was a first time for me. I ordered a lasagna, RM9.80 (before tax) and it was rather good. Love the salad as well because the dressing was sufficient in quantity and in taste (sweet sour).

Garfield's meal

All three of us had lasagna. The farewell guy had laksa and he said it was not tasty- very bland. Farewell guy also had green tea bun which was superb!! Soft, sweet and fragrant. Fathun and her sons had pizza and quiche which were yummy! 

So the verdict, go for buns/ pastries when at The Loaf. Forget the meals. 

Btw, self service was rather horrid especially when we ordered so many things and it came at different timings and all. They would ring the bell, say the name of the dish and we had to scramble to the counter to see if it's ours (by comparing our receipt and the receipt attached to the plate) or someone else's who happens to order the same thing:S

No comments:

Post a Comment