Monday 28 July 2014

Killer Gourmet Burgers (KGB), Bangsar

It's the first day of Raya today so Selamat Hari Raya to all who's celebrating the lovely festival! 

This means that I'm back in my hometown where I'm suppose to be able to churn out more blog posts since I'm on a holiday but since I got back all I did was laze around. Didn't had the motivation to even touch my laptop till today where I decided that I should be responsible so checked and replied some e-mails.

So this blog post is for those who really love meat! And yes! I'm one of them! I'd have meaty cravings (especially for beef) every once a month. I can't afford steak at restaurants that cost RM60 and above but I refused to settle for overcooked RM20 steak.

Solution?

Killer Gourmet Burger (KGB)!

KGB, Bangsar

It was last week during the fasting month where we were deciding what to eat for dinner. We got bored with rice from the bazaar so I suggested burger! The question was which because there are tonnes of burger shops all around town but reviews that I read mostly pointed to KGB.

So off we went to KGB, Bangsar. They have an outlet in The Gardens too! For address and phone number, please refer to the picture below:

KGB menu

KGB, the CIA of Soviet Union... ... LOL kidding! KGB the burger shop in Bangsar has a small dining space. I think it's like half a shop. The one at Midvalley seem to be very squeezy too. However, I managed to get a seat really quickly so that is all good. 

To make the shop look bigger, they placed this huge ass mirror on wall and it really works! Optically deceived.

Big mirror

It's self service, well.. half self service to be exact. You would need to queue at the counter to order your food and pay for them. Then come back to your table with the receipt and wait for the food to be delivered.

The queue for food

Serviettes, stuff into a glass with a KGB sticker pasted onto it. Simple and functional.

Deco- Route 66- Exit

KGB Logo

So this is how you order your burgers;

       #1 Select which type of patties you want- Beef or Chicken. I obviously opted for the beef. 
       #2 Choose Diner burgers or Gourmet burgers. The description of the two burgers can be found in the Menu picture above.
       #3 Choose the type of burger
       #4 Add on RM5.50 set meal? (Fries + drink)
       #5 Add on sides?

These were what we had:

1. Diner burger- KGB Spiked- Set meal (Herbed fries + Mineral water)
2. Gourmet burger- Tornado- Set meal (Spicy Cajun + Fanta Orange)
3. Side dish: Chicken Bites

Fanta Orange | Mineral Water

It would be a good option to get a set meal because it's more economical that way. Fries alone cost RM7.90 but when it comes in a set meal (fries & drink) you only pay RM5.50.

Herbed fries | Spicy Cajun fries

I loved the herbed fries so much!!! The spicy cajun was yummy too but I loved the fragrant from the herb more! Both fries went really well with the dips. I'm not too sure what dips were those? Shack sauce?

Fried were extremely crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside! One of the best fries I've ever tasted. I'd probably vote it as #1 and Wendy's/ Carls' Jr as #2.

Chicken Bites, RM7.90

KGB Spiked, RM15.90- Crust seared grass fed beef, Sharp Cheddar, Crispy Beef Bacon. KGB Spicy Sauce

Ohhh! My burger was good! All burger patties will be cooked medium well so if you like it more rare or more cooked you would need to inform them upon ordering. I like my medium well. Patties were good. Fresh. No cheat beef!

But the first thing that I noticed about KGB is the sauce! They have really awesome burger sauce!! It makes the burger have this popping taste! Goes very well with the sweetness of the beef.

I ordered KGB Spiked because in addition to beef patties they had beef bacon!!! Holy cow! I love bacon!

All buns are scalded with their logo which makes it really cool, in my opinion. They scald it with the burning rod like what they do to cows... or bulls?

Tattooed burger bun

Tornado, RM15.90- Grilled Grass fed beef, Onion Rings, Sunny Side egg, Buffalo wing aioli

Tornado tasted like Ramli burger to me. Not because it taste cheap! LOL I think it's because of the sunny side egg that reminded me of burger Ramli. It still is tasty but I loved my KGB Spiked better:P

I really enjoyed the burger there so I went back for more burgers two days later! Had to recommend these burgers to Naomi who came up for "work".

This time we had;

1. Diner burger- Animal Style- Set meal (Spicy Cajun fries + Mineral Water)
2. Gourmet burger- Bella Bomb Tower
3. Onion rings

Bella Bomb Tower, RM21.90- Grilled grass fed beef, 2x portobello mushroom w triple melted cheese, Shack Sauce

Please believe it when they say TWO TIMES portobello mushroom AND triple melted cheese! Because it was really that! THE BOMB!

Da bomb, see?

Da bomb, bombing!

See that? That's exactly what's written in the description of the burger. I usually take descriptions lightly because I'm normally serve a burger that is not up to expectation of description. But at KGB, they mean it when they write it LOL

Naomi couldn't finish the bomb burger so I had a go at it and I couldn't finish it either because it was just too much. Too much mushrooms with too much cheese. We did a half- half but it made us muak after a while LOL 

First few bites, she looks like she's in pain LOL

Ahh, so good or Ughh, too much? 

And that is why I always stick to diner burgers! I just have this feeling that if I choose a gourmet burger it will be too much for me. I had Animal Style diner burger and it was yummy as well! I loved the caramelized onions in the burger!

But if I were to pick between Animal Style and KGB Spiked, I'd pick the latter. Bacon always wins!


(Behind) Animal Style, RM14.90- Crust seared grass fed beef, mustard grilled, sharp cheddar, caramelised onions, shack sauce

Onion Rings, RM6.90

The onion rings was very delicious!! The onion wasn't too spicy (spicy as in onion spicy taste not chilli), onions were sliced thinly and nicely coated with this yummy buttermilk batter, comes with this super yummy dips! Must try!

Fries weren't as yummy as the ones I had two days before. It wasn't as crunchy on the outside:( But it was still good. Fries based on second visit would be on par with the ones at Wendy's or Carls' Jr.

Okay, that's all for now! Enjoy your meaty Rendang since it's Raya but once you need to source for meat in the near future do hop by KGB for affordable, fresh and attentively cooked beef!

No comments:

Post a Comment