Thursday 1 January 2015

Japan Boat Takoyaki @ IOI City Mall Putrajaya

So today is 1 Jan 2015 and to celebrate the new year, my sis and I decided that we would splurge a little on lunch then go back eating home cooked budget food. The plan was for us to have sushi at Sushi Zanmai at One Utama, but decided that we stand a higher chance to find parking in Sunway Pyramid. 

However when we reached Sunway, it was all jam up till the highway so I suggested we go check out the new IOI City Mall in Putrajaya thinking that they wouldn't be much people there since it's so far away. Boy, was I so wrong!

It was jam up as well in Putrajaya wanting to turn into the parking area. The parking area of the new mall is humongous yet it was so packed!! Luckily we found a parking that didn't look like a parking unless you look hard enough.

Went up to the mall and... holy cow! The number of people there in that huge as mall made me a bit dizzy. It was worse than Midvalley during peak hours. As expected, we had to queue for almost an hour for Sushi Zanmai (yes, we stubbornly still wanted sushi) and customer service there was so bad prolly because of the heavy traffic. 

Before heading home immediately after lunch (because the place was so packed that if it was a zombie appocalyse I'm so dead), we decided to drop by a new store to pack back some snack!

Japan Boat Takoyaki
Lower Ground, IOI City Mall Putrajaya

Japan Boat Takoyaki at LG

According to the ad, this store originated from Osaka, Japan back in 1955 if I've not mistaken and it finally came to Malaysia! Googled a bit about it and found out that it has a 60 years old history producing "octopus balls" or "burnt octopus" and was popularised in Taiwan and later expanded to Hong Kong and China.


Making octopus balls

I noticed the process of making takoyaki is similar to what other stores have been doing here in Malaysia.However, they do have this additional equipment to clean the takoyaki pans! I'm not sure if it's a vacuum that sucks up bits and pieces of remnants or a blower to blow the remnants out of the way. Prolly the former LOL 

Octopus ball being glazed, topped with mayo and Katsuobushi (Takoyaki flakes)!!

The lady asked what flavour I wanted so I told her I wanted the original without the wasabi. Not too sure what flavours they have because it was a long queue and I just wanted to get in and get out as soon as possible. Waited in the line till I got sleepy:S

Packing octopus ball in a paper boat

There you have it! Japan Boat Takoyaki! Love the design of the paper boat, check out the lock that they created. Such a smart move without incurring addition cost!

One boat (three octopus balls) cost RM3.90. 

Currenly, they have two promotional sets: 
  • Set A: One Tako boat + One drink RM5
  • Set B: Three Tako boat RM10
I thought that this Takoyaki store sells really cheap Tako because usually elsewhere it's sold for about RM6 for 4 octopus balls. It's even cheaper if you buy Set B! Do the math:)


Sneak peak of the insides

I like that they are very generous with the glaze, mayo and tako flakes! The octopus balls do not have too much flour so it was very pleasing to have as snacks, appetizers or in this case dessert LOL I would like it better if they are more generous with their octopus though. I could only chew on two tiny pieces of octopus in each ball. 

But all in all, it's one of my favourite snack and I'd come back for it again if I'm ever in Putrajaya! Okay, till the next post. Goodnight:)

No comments:

Post a Comment