Saturday 3 January 2015

Nasi Kandar Beratur & Restoran KSB Cahaya (Abu), Penang

It's a wonderful Saturday morning despite me being woken up by the loud drilling noise next door. Neighbours must be doing some renovation. Wondering when can I get a place of my own?

Anyway, I was suppose to write about China House before I write this post if it were to be chronological but China House has (present tense, because my sis's friend who is in Penang now experienced the same thing) such bad service i.e. waiter/ waitresses were impatient, rude and syok sendiri, I somehow feel demotivated to write about their mediocre food.

So I decided to skip China House, God knows why people are so crazy about that shop, and write about this instead!

Restoran Nasi Kandar Beratur
Jalan Masjid Kapitan Keling

This is the famous Nasi Kandar Beratur at night, situated right next to the mosque

This stall opens only after 10pm. 

I repeat, ONLY after 10pm because before that there is also another Nasi Kandar owner selling at the the same venue. The first time I was there, about a year back I accidentally bought the wrong nasi kandar thinking why all the hype when Pelita back in KL tasted better. Good thing I got suspicious of the long queue and found out that the Nasi Kandar Beratur has yet opened! fml, LOL.

After China House (yucks!), at baout 9.40pm we headed to Nasi Kandar beratur. At that time there was already a line formed but the line wasn't monstrous yet so it was okay. I'm couting about 10 people before my turn?
Queuing for Nasi Kandar Beratur at 9.40pm

Waited and waited and waited. Finally at around 10pm, the before 10 Nasi Kandar stall shut down and made way for the Nasi Kandar Beratur. I felt a little bad for the before 10 nasi kandar because he must feel shitty about his business. Even before he shuts, probably about 9pm people where already queuing outside his shop but only for someother people's food not his:S

It took the Nasi Kandar Beratur guys so long to set their stall up. All their food has been cooked somewhere else and then pushed in a cart to the venue. Just that they had to wash the stall, yes as in use water and all. Then, they had to arrange their dishes properly. When they finally turned on the lights everyone perked up quickly!

HAHAHAHA thinking back, felt like we were so deperate for his rice.

Finally, lights up! And the Nasi Kandar Beratur business begins!

This was soon to be my turn. I look like a hungry monster with fat thighs here. I'm sure it's just the wrong angle:X

Stuffing my head in the corner to tell the guy what I wanted. 

Somehow I always feel very rushed when I order my food at Nasi Kandar beratur because subconsiously I know that the line, by now a monstrous line, is behind me and that I should not hog the line. I think most people feel the same way as I did and that is why they will ask their son/ daughter/ dad/ relative to go check out what dishes do they have before it reaches their turn.

Waited for nearly half an hour to 45 minutes for dinner!

Sorry, this is the only picture I've got. 

The thing is I didn't care about how the food looks when I unwrapped it back in the hotel because I was soooooo hungry! I ordered rice, fried chicken (thigh) and beef with kari campur kuah banyak gravy, RM10. CHEAP!

Chicken
One big piece of chicken thigh, nicely seasoned and deep fried. So crispy despite it bathing in kuah campur. I'm amazed! Must get Double fried chicken next time round.

Beef
Two large chunks of tender beef. Not need chew till dentures come off! It's so tender and flavourful as if they slow cooked their beef.

Naomi was initially having windy stomach due to our crazy eating time in Penang. It was hard to tell what was breakfast, lunch or dinner there because our mouths were just nomming non stop at odd hours throughout the day and her tummy must have been shocked to some extend LOL So she decided not to buy Nasi Kandar Beratur.

I warned her time after time that she would regret that decision! But she didn't head my advice. Once we were back in the hotel I gave her some fried chicken and she was sold! Out of the blue, her stomach wasn't windy anymore, lmao. Taking pity on her, I gave her half of my dinner.

Till now, she craves the Nasi Kandar Beratur so we're planning for a trip back when our finances allow :P

Me with the biker mural

So, since I shared my dinner I wasn't full. Decided to have supper. Actually supper in Penang is a must especially when you live right across a night hawker street. Regardless, I was very grateful to be recommended supper at this shop instead of the hawker.

Note: I had to haul the sleepy head out for supper because her post- Langkawi syndrome was starting to show LOL

Restoran KSB Cahaya (aka Abu Mamak)
Macalister Lane 


Abu. That's what Penang people call it I think.

Currently, they have moved to Macalister Lane from I'm- not- too- sure- where but I think this is their temporary place because they might want to move back to their old location. So as of November 2014 this is where they are.

I was told that this shop's food is a hit and miss kinda shop. Some people loves the food here but then some other people would have tummyache and diarrhea thanks to the food here. Nevertheless, they do have a large variety of Roti to choose from! Think Murni at SS2, similar concept.

Menu board

Ugh. I forgot what they call this. Something like Roti Bakar Kahwin and Power I think?

Roti Kahwin because it the butter kaya toast comes in a pair like married couple. Power refers to the half boiled eggs. Quite amusing names I must say, but fun to know! This set cost about RM5 if I have not mistaken. Our bills were counted in aggregate so I'm only guessing the bill breakdown. 

I totally forgot the name of this Roti but according to Naomi, this is Roti USA. Should be around RM5.

Roti USA is buttered toast topped with fried egg, sausage, cheese and another egg, drizzled with chili sauce. Actually, this is similar to having a big breakfast, just that they stacked each ingrediant on top of each onther rather than it being plated separately. 

I think this is Roti Hong Kong. About RM4- 5 maybe?

It's practically roti telur with sliced sausages inside topped with a dollop of mayo. Nothing special though. Even if they have a large variety of roti, most of the ingredients are repeated. 

This is Milo + Tea. I think they called it "TehLo". It's not on the menu but if you are their regulars you would know.

I enjoyed the kaya on the toast even if I was told that it was just cheap kaya. Cheap kaya also taste so good in Penang?!! Where can!!! Really. I enjoyed the kaya so much because it tasted so lemak-ish (coconut milk). The roti was nothing really special though and a bit pricey. 

I still enjoyed supper though! And no tummyache after:D

No comments:

Post a Comment