Monday 5 January 2015

Ming Xiang Tai @ Burmah Road, Penang

Why is everyone still on holiday??? I'm back and ready for action since a week ago but then everyone else seem to be still on holiday, which leaves me to have nothing to do, which makes me feel guilty for wasting time. Though there's nothing much that I could do.

Another post on Penang!

So prior to the Penang trip I was googling about the places to find good food. I wanted to try out different food that I have not had the opportunity to eat the last round I was there. Of course, good food from the previous trip will be eaten again LOL

Don't know how but I was googling about pastries in Penang and apparently quite a number of people were talking (blogging) about this chinese pastry shop. So I did my homework and paid them a visit!

Ming Xiang Tai 
133 Jalan Burmah, Georgetown Penang

If you are coming from Penang Rd (It's a one way street), Ming Xiang Tai will be on your left

Entrance of the Burmah Rd shop

Ming Xiang Tai is a Chinese pastry shop that sells Cantonese snacks like egg tarts, Siew Pau, and other types of sweet and salty pastries. 

Initially I wasn't sure if it's worth the visit because Penang is a Hokkien place so I assumed that whatever good there is there should be of Hokkien originated cuisine right? However, lots of people were saying that the pastries were really good and that this lady even ordered many packs of Trishaw Eggtarts to be brought back to KL as souvenirs!

Since I didn't had to ride on public transport to get there, I decided to give it a go!

Interior of the shop

Sidewalk board outside the shop

I think this outlet on Burmah Road is their first shop, if I've not mistaken. Now they have a few branches all around Penang. Have a look at the pastries that would be the first thing to welcome you as you walk into the shop:

Pastries say hello!

Walked inside and found more pastries

They have soybean drink and Tau Huey (soy pudding) as well for sale in the refrigerator alongside other beverages.

Seems like their soybean drink is a hit! One bottle cost RM6. Since it's pricey I'm assuming that it would be really really good.

We packed back our pastries and Tau Huey to the hotel because we just had Pata Mee Sotong for lunch and also Swatow Lane Ais Kacang so we were so darn full and tired. Back in the hotel we had a nap and once I awaken from my slumber I felt hungry so just in time for snacks!

Pastries nicely packed in a transparent plastic box

I got the famous Trishaw Eggtart (RM1.80) and Salted Egg pastry (RM1.50). My sis got the eggtart and a chicken siew pau (RM2). We shared a lotus filled pastry (RM1+) as well. 

Trishaw Eggtart

This was the pastry that motivated me to go check out Ming Xiang Tai. It's call Trishaw Egg Tart because his grandmother started off selling pastries in a trishaw. People actually pack boxes of this back! Must be good!

I love the egg centre of the tart, very fresh, soft and wobbly. Not too sweet so that's good. The crust of the egg tart is the crispy flaky type. I thought that the crust needed to be more buttery though since it tasted quite bland. Overall I give it a 3 Star, not sure if I'd pack it all the way back to my hometown as souvenirs though. The ones at Canton- i tasted significantly better for me:P

Tau Huey, RM3.50 I think 

They soy pudding and the syrup were packed seperately. Here you don't get to choose your sugar. Usually I'd have mine in white but since they only had black I didn't mind too much either. The fun part comes when you drizzle your syrup onto your pudding!!

Syrup on pudding, yums!

This, I like!! Very fresh homemade tasting Tau Huey. The pudding was very delicately made, tasted so fine, fine as in halus with no clumps and easily slurped down your throat! YUMS!! I dumped half the syrup on the pudding yet it wasn't too sweet! By the way, the syrup was thick (I was impressed with how thick it was because usually the syrups are watery) so I thought it would be very sweet LOL

Naomi's Chicken Siew Pau

She didn't really like this because she said it didn't taste classic. Usually the meat is pork but since Ming Xiang Tai is pork free, they substitute pork with chicken. Also I think this siew pau is modernised in some way because they added extra ingrediants inside (Forgot what they were, was it lotus seeds?)

My salted egg pastry wasn't that tasty as well. Tasted very dry to me. Basically, all the pastry skin in Ming Xiang Tai is dry LOL But their fillings are not too bad though! But don't think I'll return when back in Penang.

No comments:

Post a Comment