Friday 16 January 2015

Jaslyn Cakes, Bangsar

I'm a rather conventional person when it comes to celebrating special occasions like birthdays, graduation, anniversaries etc.Conventional in the sense that I would need a cake LOL Of course, my first option would always be to get a cake wholly so can cut it and all... but because usually there's only two or three of us, I'd settle for cake slice so we need not force the whole cake down ourselves :S

Remember when I was blogging about Souka, TTDI I mentioned that I was on a hunt for more cake shops for a special occasion? Since we tried Souka, I thought I should get cake from elsewhere this time. So I found this rather newly opened shop in Bangsar.

Jaslyn Cakes
Jalan Telawi 2, Bangsar

I'll show you some pictures of the shop because that's practically what you will be paying a high price for since the cakes were so disappointingly mediocre. I thought the homemade ones by my sister tasted better:S

Outside of shop. Opens till 7pm only.

Entrance that I've seen other bloggers rave about =.=

Interior

There are limited seats inside the shop because the shop itself is actually half a shop. There are two seaters facing the counter and the walkway was rather cramp. Not that I mind because I was there only for a takeaway.

Beverages menu if you're interested in dining in. I wouldn't though- Still very grumpy from yesterday's purchase.

Next to the cashier counter is the place they baked cakes I think

Cakes on the counter

So I was having rather high expectations for the cakes here because it seems like other bloggers gave them a thumbs up! Also, I think the owner  (Jaslyn?) was the one who supplied cakes to Wondermilk Cafe. Now I know why Wondermilk's stuff are so pricey :S

With the high expectation, I walked into the shop only to get my high hopes and expectations crushed by the minute variety of cakes on the counter. So there was only Earl Grey Chiffon cake, Red Velvet cake, Carrot cake and Vanilla Bean Cake. They had Brownies, Blondies, and other small tea time snack.

I remember being unable to conceal my disappointment when I asked the lady "So... is these all the cakes that you've got?" . She unabashedly replied yeah, oh but we have mango cake (which was the special of the day and wasn't on display).

Today's special

I comforted myself by thinking that since there's limited cake choices the cakes available should taste fantastic because they have all the time in the world to perfect them. You know, Jack of all trades but master of none logic? I know of cake shops like Le Trianon Cakes that only have TWO types of cake for sale but buying either one of those would awe you!

My takeaway

Takeaway cakes in silver boxes

I didn't had much choice but to pick the cheesecake and the mango cake because I was sharing the cake with someone who doesn't fancy carrot cake, so carrot cake was out. And I had enough of Red Velvet cake, so that was out too. The thought of getting salted chocolate brownies and blondies did cross my mind but they were too tiny for RM10.90. 

Btw, Blondies tasted quite good because of the toffee taste but the price didn't justify it's taste so I decided to give it a pass.

Vanilla Bean Cheesecake RM14.50

The lady told me that their Vanilla Bean Cheesecake was one of their hot selling item so I decided to give it a go even if it looks very ordinary to me. Was still convincing myself to not judge a book by its cover. I didn't mind paying a steep price for the cake because after all it was to celebrate a special occasion.

To my biggest dismay, the cake tasted ordinary :O I mean it wasn't disgusting or anything like that but it was so mediocre that paying RM14.50 made it feel like I got conned! And I hate getting conned.

The cheesecake was nicely baked no doubt, soft and fluffy but... that's all. Was expecting some special vanilla flavour but don't see how that popped. The fact that my sister's cheesecake tasted better really pissed me off.

Mango Cream Roll Slice RM9.90

Mangoes were a thumbs up, fresh sweet chunks.

So the mango cream roll slice was cheaper than the cheesecake and thank God for that because when I first dig into it, I thought the cake tasted like something I could buy off from Kings Confectionery. But as I eat my way to the centre of the spiral it didn't taste too bad. Still rather mediocre though. 

I'm still very upset with the cakes even though it has been more than 12 hours ago since I had them LOL Could have spent the money on Alexis' cakes instead! Oh well, so now you know. You're welcome. 

5 comments:

  1. Think your comments are slightly bias. While the vanilla bean cake is mediocre, King's confectionery definitely cant produce the mango rolls of such quality. To add to it, Alexis cakes are not that great either. If you realise they did some cost cutting and the signature pavlova contains more of the cream instead of the fruits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Experiences, including food, is multi construct. While I may find Jaslyn cakes to be quite horrid at that point of time in comparison to cheaper bakery cakes, it may or may not be the same experience faced by others be it at that point of time or another. But that doesn't make my view any less true:) I'm glad though that you had a better experience with them.

      Delete
  2. I like ur comment as it is faithful and sincere

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the cakes at Jaslyn. Not too sweet with well rounded tastes and textures. Pricey, yes. But definitely a treat!

    ReplyDelete